Wolfgang Hollegha was born in Carinthia in 1929. From 1947 to 1954 he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna and attended the master class at Josef Dobrowski. He founded the Malergruppe St Stephan with Josef Mikl, Markus Prachensky and Arnulf Rainer in 1956. One year before that he got to know Otto Mauer. In 1959 he organized a group show together with Barnett Newman and Morris Louis in New York. He traveled to the United States for a solo exhibition in New York in 1960. In 1962 he moved to Rechberg in Styria. From 1972 to 1997 he worked as professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna. He finished the tower of his atelier in Rechberg in 1976. From 1975 onwards Hollegha has traveled several times France and Spain. The artist lives and works both in Styria and Northern Spain. Wolfgang Hollegha is considered to be one of the most important artists in Austria after 1945. On the basis of the group shows at the Gallery St. Stephan he gained international prominence. The main focus of his painting lies on the perception of objectivity and on the relation between the artist and the reality. For the artistic process, the body mechanics are very important. The artist prefers very large formats. Hollegha is the one most important representative of abstract painting in Austria.